- What do parents provide a child with?
- How does this stimulate Language Acquisition?
- Which theorists do we know include the role of the parents?
CDS – Child Directed Speech
- Deletion and Substitution
- Simple features
- Exaggerated prosodic features
What features are there of CDS?
- Repetition or repeated sentence frames
- Higher pitch
- The child’s name rather than pronouns
- Present tense
- One word utterances or ellipsis
- Few verbs or modifiers
- Concrete nouns
- Expansions (the expanding of a child’s utterances)
- Recasts – the extending of and rephrasing of an utterance.
- Yes/no questions
- Exaggerated pauses with turn-taking cues.
Bruner and his LASS
- Ritualised activities help parents make rules and meanings predictable and explicit.
- What does peek-a-boo teach children?
- What about hickory-dickory-clock
- One, two, three, four, five?