• Chronological - Relying on action words (verbs), linking through connectives
• Non-chronological - More difficult to write, based on connections between ideas.
• Expressive – The first mode that resembles speech – often with first person perspective (based on personal references).
• Poetic – Encouraged early on as is creative – involves using rhyme, rhythm, adjectives and similes.
• Transactional – Secondary school – the essay style – impersonal style and tone with formal sentence structures and features that signpost ideas.