Mummy and Daddy
* What do parents/carers provide a child with?
- Emotional support
* How does this stimulate Language Acquisition?
- Correct syntax
- Heed demands
- Provide network-building opportunities
* Which theorists do we know include the role of the parents?
- Chomsky (to realise the correct rules)
- Bruner (LASS)
- Nelson (Recasts)
Lexemes in CDS
* Reduplication - Bye-Bye
* Deletion and Substitution - Jim-Jams
* Addition - Doggie
How is baby talk (CDS) pronounced?
* Simple features
* Exaggerated prosodic features
* Exaggerated pauses with turn-taking cues.
* Higher pitch
What features are there of CDS
* Repetition or repeated sentence frames
* The child’s name rather than pronouns
* Present tense
* One word utterances or ellipsis
* Slower speech
* Few verbs or modifiers
* Concrete nouns
* Emphasised phonemes
* Expansions (the expanding of a child’s utterances)
* Recasts – the extending of and rephrasing of an utterance.
* Yes/no questions
- Bruner and his LASS
- Bruner said that ritualised activities help parents make rules and meanings predictable and explicit.
- What does peek-a-boo teach children? (Piagets Object Permanence)
- What about hickory-dickory-clock?
- One, two, three, four, five?